On Sunday, October 22nd, 2017, the Clifton Springs Bowling Club commemorated its 40th anniversary since its establishment. The significant occasion was marked by an elegant High Tea, graced by the presence of 100 past and current members, representatives from Bowls Victoria, Geelong Bowls Region, as well as local dignitaries.
A splendid celebratory cake, skillfully crafted by Alma Milvain and with Mabel Bant’s participation in candle lighting, adorned the event. These two individuals hold the distinction of being the club’s longest-standing members.
During the festivities, the club’s notable accomplishments throughout its history were brought to the forefront:
Noteworthy achievements in the Bellarine District Ladies Bowls Association history, including titles like
- Champion of Champions 2002/03 for Laura Johnson,
- State Pairs 2002/03/04 for Margaret Slater and Laura Johnson, and
- State Singles Section 2003/04 for Laura Johnson.
Pennant victories spanning various years, including:
- Division 3 in 2002/03,
- Divisions 2 & 4 in 2003/04,
- Division 1 in 2005/06, and
- Division 2 in 2006/07.
Recognitions in Geelong Bowls Region history, encompassing accomplishments like:
- Jack Sutton securing the Veterans Champion title in 2009,
- Alison Payne achieving the same in 2012,
- Laura Johnson earning the Veterans Champion title in 2016, and
- Rick Nichol and Jeff Chandler triumphing in the Over 60’s Pairs category in 2017.
- Additionally, the club’s Saturday Pennant success was demonstrated by Division 6’s victory in 2014/15.
The celebration was enhanced by a spirited round of social bowls on the recently restored No. 2 Green, a heartening experience especially in light of the flood-related challenges faced earlier in the year.